Looks are important. When it comes to working on a kitchen or bath remodel, you’re naturally going to gravitate toward elements that catch your eye aesthetically. Unless it’s a new construction, the way your current kitchen or bathroom looks is probably pretty high on the list of reasons you’re remodeling in the first place. But another important component of any design project is function. This goes double for spaces like kitchens and baths, which are the two most heavily used rooms in the home.
It can be argued that the kitchen countertop and vanity top are the two most hardworking elements in the home. And as tempting as it might be to select a kitchen or bath countertop based on looks alone, there are several other things worth considering before you make a final decision. Our experience working with designers, architects, and homeowners to find the perfect countertop materials has made it clear that durability, maintenance, and cost are three major factors that should go into determining the right countertop choice.
But what other things should you consider? Here’s a list of questions that our surfacing experts here at Stone Ace typically ask when people visit us looking for the right kitchen or bath countertop material:
• Is this an upgrade for you or are you remodeling to sell?
• How many people will use the space on an average day? Does this include children?
• Do kids help out in the kitchen with cooking, cleanup, or packing lunches?
• Most nights, do you cook at home?
• Are you planning a simple powder room, spare bath, or master suite? Do you want
a custom-installed countertop or just a small vanity top?
• Do you use hair color, nail polish, make-up or other items with color that might stain in the bathroom?
• What’s the budget you have in mind?
• Describe your decorating scheme. What colors and finishes do you desire? What’s the rest of the home like, as far as a décor style or theme?
• How do you feel about a material that ages and shows wear? Do you like a “lived-with” patina or do you want your top to look brand spanking new at all times?
• Is there a certain material or particular look that you love?
• Have you thought about what kind of sink you’d like to have?
• Are you comfortable with the idea of sealing the countertop at least once a year?
• Have you gone to check out any materials in person?
• When it comes to color, do you prefer to decorate with neutrals or do you enjoy making a bold statement with color?
• Is having an environmentally friendly material a high priority for you?
Taking some time to think about each of these questions, and making notes, will make you better prepared for a visit to your local stone wholesaler or even with your interior designer or architect. They’re all important factors that will lead you towards the material that’s ideal for your project. please visit our showroom,we’d be happy to talk these items over with you and provide suggestions for a kitchen or bath countertop that you will love!